Steel Cased Driven Piling
What We Offers:
Here at Southern Foundations & Piling Ltd,
We are catered towards the domestic and commercial clients, We have great teams of piling & Underpinning contractors who are all in house trained and employed by our company and do not source outside contractors to take on work under our name. Our teams cover all over the south of the Uk and we have a wide variety of piling machines to undertake almost any job. We can undertake all of the associated ground works which go with piling so we can do the ground beams or your Rc raft ready for the builder to build straight on. We can also undertake full designs with our structural design team or work with your structural engineer always with a cost effective and practical method in mind. We like to offer a transparent service with no hidden or nasty extras at the end of our service and pride ourselves on being fair and honest to all of our clients.
Please contact our team on the below contact form or call to discuss your project with our estimator Tom.
Send Us a Message!
Steel Cased Driven piling is a bottom-driven type of piling that either utilises a drop hammer piling rig or a vibrating mole. Steel tubing installation protects pile casings and tubes from groundwater and leakage.
Where to Use Steel Cased Driven Piles?
Steel cased driven piles are usually installed in places with:
- Strong underground water flow
- Spaces having restricted headroom
- Made ground
- Ground with a high water table
- Gravelly/Sandy ground
- Cut-off level located above ground level
- Contaminated land
- Cavities or very soft and unsteady top or intermediate soil layers
- Difficult to access, narrow, or confined working areas
Feel Free to Get in Touch
Advantages of Steel Cased Driven Piling
The following are the advantages of steel cased driven piling:
- Small and lightweight piling rigs.
- Need minimum site preparation.
- Can be handled manually because of their small typical size of 2.00m.
- Can be employed in sites with limited access and limited headroom.
- Requires no spoil removal; therefore, it is suitable for installation in contaminated sites.
- Suitable for sensitive areas because of low noise and vibrations.
- Piles can be cut easily to the required length.
- Casings come in various ranges of diameters and can be delivered in any length.
- Requires no disposal costs because there are no arisings during the process of piling.
- Produces minimal waste, positively impacting the ecology.
Take a look at Southern Foundations and Piling Ltd!
Process of Steel Cased Driven Piling
Our engineers, specialised in steel pile foundations, carry it out in the following steps:
- Drive thin-walled casings’ short sections into the ground to position the tube.
- Fill the bottom of a permanent tube or casing with a driving plug.
- Use a free-fall hammer to compact the plug and lower the casing segment to drive it into the soil.
- Weld the additional elements of the tube to drive the pile deeper.
- Repeat this process until a certain length is achieved for installation.
- Withdraw the internal hammer from the casing.
- Fill the hollow casing with concrete to place the steel reinforced concrete foundation.
- Plunge a reinforcement bar to a specific length in the wet concrete to complete the pile.
Laying steel pile foundation does not require spoil removal and produces limited vibrations and noise pollution during pile installation as the driving is done inside the tube, therefore, leaving minimum impact on the environment.
The standard diameter for steel RC piles falls somewhere between 168mm to 609mm with theoretically unlimited length, has approximately 2.275kN allowable bearing capacity, and can withstand horizontal forces requiring bending stiffness and shear resistance.
The following are some of the pile ranges, along with their respective bearing capacities:
- 150mm diameter pile (100 kN)
- 220mm diameter pile (300 kN)
- 273mm diameter pile (400 kN)
- 324mm diameter pile (500 kN)
Steel cased driven piles can be used for laying the foundations for different structures used for different purposes, such as:
- Heavy civil works
Steel cased piles offer several advantages in terms of their impressive compressional and tensile strength, light weight, easy shipping and installation, easy splicing by welding, deep penetration in the hard layers of ground, and support for heavier structures, including large bridges and skyscrapers.
The steel piles are made up of carbon steel, which will be subjected to natural corrosion over time based on exposure to water, oxygen, and accelerating agents, including salt and other contaminants. Yet, the steel cased driven (SCD) piling design lasts more than 125 years in areas with limited deterioration rates and employed protective measures.